Thanks for the memories.
I always enjoyed reading Burgess Allison’s Technology Update (TU) column and considered him a mentor. His column ran for 17 years (1983-2000).
It was Burgess who recruited me to be a columnist for Law Practice magazine (then called Law Practice Management magazine) at a time when the magazine had only had one columnist: him. And I don’t think I’m putting words in his mouth when I say that Burgess viewed my nothing.but.net column as the successor to his Technology Update. He even picked the name! Nobody can live up to Burgess Allison’s legacy, but I enjoyed the challenge.
But everything has a beginning, middle, and end. Today, after a 15-year run, I am announcing the end of my ABA nothing.but.net column. The column started when most people had not heard of the Internet. Now most people have heard of the Internet. And there are plenty of other tech writers to fill in the gaps. I enjoyed writing the column and will keep writing. Just not this column in this publication.
Thanks for the memories.
- Top 10 ABA Articles By @ErikJHeels
I’ve been writing for the American Bar Association since 1994. These are my top 10 favorites articles.
- Paid Content = Invisible Content
The more you hide your content, the less relevant it becomes.
- Illegal Feeds And Betting Against The Internet
The clue train has left the station, and most publishers aren’t on board.
- Steal This Article: Epilogue
A technology evangelist’s work is never done.
- Steal This Article: It May Be My Last
Organizations large and small – including the ABA – need to evolve on the ever-changing Internet.
- A Smattering Of Things That I’ve Learned In Life
This article explains, in a way that a resume cannot, what life experiences I have had and how these experiences have contributed to the unique perspective that I bring to everything that I do.
- News: ABA Journal: Risking Failure
Erik J. Heels is featured in the November 2003 ABA Journal in an article about lawyers as risk-takers.
- Book Review: Law Law Law on the Internet: The Best Legal Web Sites and More: By Erik J. Heels and Rickard P. Klau
‘Law Law Law’ book debuts at the ABA’s TechShow in Chicago.
- Publications: The Legal List
From 1992 to 1995, I published seven editions of my book ‘The Legal List’ in print and on the Internet. This is the complete collection.
- Ease-of-Copying In The Digital Age – Turning A Negative Into A Positive
Rather than worrying about ease-of-copying, owners of copyrighted works should use it to their advantage.
- Why Lawyers Should Get On The Internet
Legal research on – and legal issues raised by – the Internet.